UFC light heavyweight Thiago Silva is being held Friday without bond in a Broward County, Fla., jail after having been charged with aggravated assault and other charges following a standoff with police Thursday.
An incident began at the Pablo Popovitch Mixed Martial Arts Academy in Oakland Park, Fla., at approximately 8 p.m. ET on Thursday. Silva, who was armed, reportedly threatened several people inside the academy, and then retreated to his home.
A police SWAT team from the Broward County Sheriff’s office surrounded his home. NBC News 6 in Miami reported that sheriff’s officials told the station at 11:15 p.m. ET, or slightly more than three hours after the incident began, that Silva was in custody.
When he was arrested, Silva was booked on two counts of attempted murder, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and resisting an officer without violence. At a bond hearing where he was denied bail because of a concern he would be a flight risk, the attempted murder charges were dropped.
The judge was going to post bond at $2.5 million, but prosecutors were concerned about a risk of flight and that he would be a danger to his wife if released. The judge then decided to hold Silva without bail.
UFC president Dana White had only a brief comment for Yahoo Sports on Friday.
“I’ll tell you what I told TMZ: This guy will never fight again in the UFC,” White said Friday. White declined further comment until he had more information.
The UFC released the following statement later: “The Ultimate Fighting Championship has terminated the contract of Thiago Silva effective immediately.”
Glenn Robinson, Silva’s manager, did not return messages to Yahoo Sports.
According to NBC News 6 in Miami, Silva made an obscene gesture to reporters as he was brought into the jail early Friday.
The Sun-Sentinel newspaper quoted a witness, 22-year-old Suzi Forum, who said the incident began at about 8 p.m. ET.
Jon Jones hasn’t always kept himself in great shape in between fights but if a recent tweet from the UFC light heavyweight champ can be believed, “Bones” is already pretty lean more than a month before he defends his belt at UFC 172 against Glover Teixeira. Jones takes on the Brazilian in Baltimore April 26 and he says he’s already well within striking distance of the 205 pound weight limit.
Fighters routinely cut over ten pounds of water weight the week of a fight in order to make weight. If Jones is indeed just 218 pounds right now, it would appear that he’s either sticking at this weight all through camp or getting even lower as the fight draws near in order to avoid severely dehydrating himself in order to make weight.
Do you think Jones staying light (while feasting on what looks like cauliflower, quinoa and a type of white fish) will help him against Teixeira? Let us know in the comments section.
So what did we learn from UFC 170 ? Ronda Rousey is just getting better; Daniel Cormier is going to be a ripper at 205lbs, and Rory MacDonald can fight a week after cutting his hand open with a carving knife, and has poor technique ? culinary, that is, when attacking an avocado? When the [...]
It started in Tokyo. The second round of World Victory Road’s Sengoku featherweight grand prix in 2009, Marlon Sandro coming at him with what looked like an overhand right.
Nick Denis lifted his arm to block it.
“But instead of an overhand right, he threw a right uppercut,” Denis told MMAjunkie.com. “The last thing I remember was seeing his fist coming toward my face and thinking, oh s—.”
Vitor Belfort, who has been under fire for his use of testosterone replacement therapy, told Fox Sports 1 early Friday that he had opted to pull out of his planned May 24 middleweight title fight with champion Chris Weidman that had been set to be the main event of UFC 173 at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas.
Former light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida will replace Belfort in the title fight.
Belfort said in a statement to Fox Sports 1 that he made the decision after the Nevada Athletic Commission voted 4-0 on Thursday to ban the use of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) effective immediately.
In his statement to Fox Sports 1, Belfort said:
The Nevada State Athletic Commission recently altered its policy and will no longer permit testosterone use exemptions and will not permit a TRT program. Other jurisdictions may follow suit. I’m going to drop my TRT program and compete in MMA without it. Given the time constraints between now and my proposed next bout in May, I have determined not to apply for a license to fight in Nevada at this time.
Part of Belfort’s reasoning is likely because of pressure from the UFC. If Belfort were to have applied for a license in Nevada, he would have been forced to appear in front of the entire commission, because he is 35 and it is commission policy for athletes over 35 to meet with the commission before being licensed. But also, the next hearing is scheduled for March 11, and Belfort likely wouldn’t have been able to prepare a presentation by that point.
The commission meeting after March 11 is scheduled for sometime in April, and that likely would not have given the UFC enough time to find a replacement for a major pay-per-view show had Belfort not gotten licensed.
Belfort fought three times while using TRT, with all three fights coming in his native Brazil and all three resulting in spectacular knockout finishes. He stopped Michael Bisping in the second round with a kick on Jan. 19, 2013; finished Luke Rockhold with a head kick in the first on May 18, 2013; and stopped Dan Henderson with a kick just 77 seconds into their Nov. 9 bout.
Belfort, 36, tested positive for the anabolic agent 4-Hydroxytestosterone following an Oct. 21, 2006, bout at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas and was suspended for nine months.
A common side affect of steroids usage is the inability of the body to produce sufficient testosterone.
On Feb. 7, the night of a mixed martial arts award show at The Venetian in Las Vegas, Belfort was tested by the Nevada Athletic Commission. Belfort consented to the test. The results of the test are unknown.
However, because Belfort has not applied for a license in Nevada yet, his records are not likely to be public. When an athlete applies for a fight license, it is a privileged license and as part of the application process, the fighter agrees that things such as drug test results become public information. But Belfort is not licensed in Nevada and has not applied; as a result, even if the commission has his result, it likely can’t release it and can’t do anything with it.
Belfort said he would apply for a license to fight in Nevada at a later date, at which time he would undoubtedly be asked about the result of the Feb. 7 test, if it is not public by that point. Because the test is commonly known — UFC fighter Brian Stann saw the testers approach Belfort and tweeted about it — even if Belfort applies in another state, he’d likely be asked questions about it.
Belfort hasn’t fought in Nevada since getting knocked out via front kick by Anderson Silva in a middleweight title match at UF 126 on Feb. 5, 2011. The last time he fought in the U.S. was at UFC 133 in Philadelphia when he stopped Yoshiro Akiyama on Aug. 6, 2011.
Belfort attorney Neal Tabachnick could not be reached for comment on Belfort’s statement.
“There’s not a part of me that is glad we didn’t get to fight.”
Quinton “Rampage” Jackson is talking about Tito Ortiz. The two former UFC light heavyweight champions and training partners were scheduled to fight one another in Bellator’s first ever pay-per-view last year.
Ortiz broke his neck during training, the pay-per-view was scrapped and the fight didn’t happen. Instead, Jackson fought Joey Beltran in his first-ever Bellator contest.
Jackson fights again this Friday in the first round of a Bellator light heavyweight four-man tournament, against Christian M’Pumbu. The other side of the bracket has Muhammed Lawal taking on Mikhail Zayats.
The downside for Jackson of Ortiz pulling out of the fight is obvious. He missed out on a marquee pay-per-view fight and instead had to fight a lesser-known fighter in a no-win situation just to earn a payday.
With that understood, wasn’t there some part of Jackson, we ask, that was glad he didn’t have to go out there and hurt a former training partner and friend with whom he’s never appeared to have any animosity towards?
“Fighters, we?re different,” he begins to explain.
“We?re the alphas of the human race. We don’t need animosity between one another to fight. Basically, every time Tito and I trained together it was while he was training for a fight. So, I took it easy on him a lot of times. I always wanted to know if I could beat Tito. He beat people that I lost to and I beat people he lost to. I hope the best for him. I just want him to heal up so that if we are set to fight again, he’ll be able to do it for sure.”
Jackson went on to knock out Beltran last November and earn his first win since 2011. Jackson didn’t just leave the UFC on a three-fight losing streak against some of the best fighters in the 205-pound division, he left feeling profoundly unhappy with the way the promotion treated him.
He headed to Bellator with ideas of easier fights, pro-wrestling work and cross-over movie and television opportunities through Bellator’s parent company Viacom. Several months and one fight in, Jackson says that he’s not happy with absolutely everything that has happened thus far, but that Bellator itself treats him with respect.
“The last organization I was with kind of sapped the love I had for MMA but it’s starting to come back with Bellator. There are a few things I’m not 100 percent happy with. Some things are better than others and some things [Viacom] said they were going to do, I wished they’d worked out better. But Bellator itself, they treat me with respect. My relationship with Bellator, which is who I have contact with on a day-to-day basis anyway, the way the promotion and Bjorn Rebney treat me is with respect. There are a few things outside of their control that I want worked on that I’m not worried about now because I’m focused on my fight but I’m sure those guys will work on it and fix it for me when we do talk. My body is feeling good and I’m more excited to fight than I have been in awhile.”
Jackson must have been happy and relieved to get back in the win column against Beltran but he says that he whether or not he’s a winner has little to do with his arm getting raised in the cage after a fight, these days. “I win no matter what,” he says.
“Even if I get knocked out, even if I get submitted, I still feel like I won. I came from no where in my life back in Mississippi to fighting in front of millions of people at a professional level. I’ve fought on the biggest shows on the planet. At one point in my life I was the number one fighter in the world at my weight. I was MMA’s first ever unified champion. It may be hard for people to understand what I’m saying when I say this but, coming from where I’m from, I win even before I step into the cage.”
This perspective may be the key to understanding Jackson’s at times contradictory statements about things like winning, entertaining and motivation. This writer remembers interviewing the fighter years ago when he couldn’t hide his ambition to be the best light heavyweight in the world.
In recent years, however, Jackson has made public comments that sounded as if he had no particular desire to train hard or win anymore and that he had given up on the idea that he could become champion again – a particularly dangerous mindset to have in a fighting sport where the difference between winning and losing can sometimes be measured in amount of brain trauma. Jackson may be honest and reflective about where he is in his career now compared to, say six or seven years ago, and he says winning fights is no longer the most important thing, but perhaps that’s a stance not formed simply from feeling defeated but rather from understanding that he’s blessed.
“I?ve always felt that way ever since my first professional fight in King of the Cage,” Jackson says of feeling like a winner no matter the result of a bout.
“I lost that fight but I got paid. Because I got paid, I was able to buy food, eat and then I got back into training. I lost my first professional fight but I won. People remembered me, they wanted me to come back. Even though I lost, I still won. No matter what, I?m winning in life because I’m successful, can feed my kids and provide them with things that I didn’t have growing up.
“Just because you lose a fight, don?t mean you?re a loser. Even if I don?t ever win another fight for as long as my career lasts, I’m a winner because I’ve accomplished so much in this sport that I used to love.”
Follow Elias on Twitter @EliasCepeda & @YahooCagewriter.
Last week the MMA world was sent into a frenzy following Jon Jones?s refusal to fight an alternative opponent at short notice following Dan Henderson?s withdrawal from UFC 151 due to injury.
UFC China: John Hathaway poised for headline return; TRT banned; Vitor Belfort removed from title shot
John Hathaway steps into the Octagon against Dong Hyun Kim in Macau tomorrow knowing that he can propel himself back into the welterweight rankings with a victory, but will face an opponent who is vastly improved after an extraordinary twelve months. Stun Gun knocked ‘em over in 2013, with a newfound brilliance in the stand-up, [...]
Promising UFC bantamweight Nick Denis caught many surprise when he announced his MMA retirement on Thursday.
As the former Ph.D. student detailed in his blog, Denis was concerned about brain injury and decided to call it quits at just 29 years old.
MMAjunkie.com medical columnist and consultant Dr. Johnny Benjamin read Denis’ blog and gives his thoughts on the fighter’s decision.